"We Inspire, We Enrich, We Entertain!"
601 N. 17th Street, Mayfield Phone: 270-247-2911 Fax: 270-247-2990
|Library Hours & Info||Policies||Library History||Learn A Test||Helpful Links||KY Virtual Library|
|KY Virtual University||Home||KY Dept. of Libraries||Bookmobile Schedule||Inter-Library Loan||Story Hour|
The Graves County Public Library was established October 1, 1940 as the result of the cooperative efforts of individuals from Graves, Calloway and Marshall Counties, Murray State Teachers College, TVA, WPA , and the Kentucky Library Extension Division, along with the assistance of the Fiscal Court. The Library opened in donated space in theCounty Court House with an inventory of 4000 books. The cooperative dissolved in 1948 and the Fiscal Court and the Mayfield City Council assumed responsibility of funding the library.
By 1960, the inventory of the library had grown to over 14,000 items, thanks in part to the Honorable Bertry Holifield. Following his death in 1957, he bequeathed his private library to the Graves County Public Library. The more rare selections of his private collection are still housed at our library. Also, a local business owner, O.G. Ducobu; who, when he died, left properties valued at several thousands of dollars to the library. Another milestone for the library about that time, was the interest and support of the Trustees of the Annie Gardner Foundation. They graciously offered the use of Edana Locus, the Ed Gardner home located on East College Street. Under the care and direction of Head Librarian, Mrs. J.E. Warren and the Library Trustees, Mrs. Jewel Moore, Ed Ray, T.C. Arnett, and Mrs. Joseph Tripp, the elegant home was transformed into one of the loveliest libraries in the state of Kentucky. The library thrived and expanded until moving to our current location in the early 90ís.
1990, the public approved the referendum for a tax rate increase to support the
building of a structure expressly designed to house a modern library. The Graves
County Public Library opened its
doors at 601 North 17th Street in 1993.
A plaque located in the foyer honors those individuals instrumental in
the building of the new library. They
are, Trustees: Caroline D. Lorenz,
Hal T. Wright, Joseph Elliott, Cecil E. Kirk, Sharlotte Kelley, Tim C. Stark and
Jeanette K. Monroe; Director, Marion P. Crisplip; State Librarian, James A.
Nelson; Kenar Architectural/Engineering, Inc.;
and Contractor, Allen Searcy, from Builder/Contractor, Inc..
In 1997, the Graves County Public Library, automated most of its services. It is a state-of-the-art facility in which we take great pride. At present, our collection is upward of 50,000 in several different material types. Thanks to the generosity of The Bill & Melinda Gates Library Foundation and Empower Kentucky, we provide free Internet and word processing access which greatly enhances the lives of the people we serve.
|Card Catalog||Friends||Homework Helpers||Search Engines & Email||Kids & Teens|
|Library After Hours||Computer Training||Library Hours & Info||Summer Reading Program||Genealogy|